When an elderly family member confronts a serious medical issue or needs additional care a family member or close friend often steps up to provide help. That's what family and friends do. Unfortunately it doesn't take long before they realize that it is more than they can handle. At that point some inquire about the services of a geriatric care manager.
We are often asked why a family should engage the services of a geriatric care manager. Here is a brief summary of the reasons we cite:
1. FOR SUPPORT - We know the medical and insurance system and can help you navigate through it more efficiently than if you try to do it yourself.
2. FOR PEACE OF MIND - We help keep a close eye on your loved one's condition and needs taking the pressure off you.
3. TO AVOID A CRISIS -Our years of medical experience enable us to anticipate problems before they happen and act proactively on your behalf.
4. TO REMAIN INDEPENDENT LONGER - We ensure that proper care is brought into the home so your loved one remains independent as long as possible.
5. TO SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN - Typically there are various options for addressing your loved one's needs. We can evaluate the different options and ensure efficient use of your financial resources.
6. TO SAVE TIME - We know who to call and the questions to ask so we can act efficiently.
7. BECAUSE THINGS CHANGE - We monitor medical changes and respond accordingly.
8. SO YOU CAN GET THE HELP YOU NEED - We present you with the alternatives and help you with the critical decisions.
9. TO FACILITATE COMMUNICATION - We coordinate the information flow among family members and other professionals to keep them all abreast of changes and facilitate decision making.
10. TO KEEP PEACE IN YOUR FAMILY - Family members often have different thoughts re the plan to be executed and the money to be spent. We can mediate family meetings and help get all family members working together as a team.
Nancy Carey, RN