National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week
Lead is a highly toxic metal that interferes with the body in many different ways and can be toxic to various organs. It only takes a small amount of lead to enter the body and cause permanent damage to the nervous system, which affects behavior and learning development in children. Adults and children are at risk, but pregnant women and children under the age of six are especially vulnerable. Many children living in the United States have elevated blood lead levels that may cause significant damage to their health.
The most common sources of lead poisoning in children are caused by lead-based paint and lead-contaminated dust in older buildings. Most lead poisonings in children result from children eating paint chips or through breathing lead dust.
A pregnant woman’s exposure to lead is of particular concern because it can result in exposure to her developing baby.
For more information on lead poisoning hazard reduction and making a healthy home, please contact the Lead Poisoning Prevention and Healthy Homes Unit at 708-633-8054 or visit http://goo.gl/4rFChM.
This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.