The Village of Barrington is thrilled to present five unique holiday festivals to celebrate Santa’s arrival on Saturday, Dec. 7.
In addition to the festivities, there will be a free holiday trolley to take visitors to each festival throughout the day. Park once and ride the trolley to each of these unusual events.
This special day is planned as an opportunity to introduce shoppers and visitors to the unique stores, restaurants and events that make Barrington a wonderful place for the holidays.
Here are the locations and a description of the highlights of each of the mini‐festivals:
Candy Cane Festival
Foundry Shopping Center on Northwest Highway from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Begin your day with free reindeer antlers from Calico Corners, followed by a children’s petting zoo and photos with the Santa from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Write a letter to Santa at Little Shop of Papers and sample a gingerbread cookie and take in the gorgeous Gingerbread Houses at Ambrosia Euro‐ American Patisserie.
- Climb aboard and explore a Barrington fire truck, and visit participating retailers for special treats.
Ice House Mall on Applebee Street from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Visit Winter Wonderland at 10:30 a.m. for a special holiday dance presentation of "The Nutcracker."
- Enjoy a magical story hour by Mrs. Claus at 11:30 a.m., followed by cookies & milk.
- Santa arrives on the holiday trolley at 12:30 p.m. to greet and visit with the children.
- The Barbara Rose School Choral Group and The Stingray Singers perform at 2 p.m.
- Language Stars will present a German story hour at 2:30 p.m.
- Special culinary gingerbread will also be on display.
Holidazzle Fest at Heinen's
The Shops at Flint Creek on North Hough Street from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Step out of the cold and into the sights and smells of holiday cooking, entertaining and merrymaking at Heinen’s Fine Foods. Children are invited to show off their artistic talent and creativity as they decorate Christmas sugar cookies.
- Parents will have an opportunity to watch cooking demonstrations, pick up ideas for holiday entertaining, and taste an assortment of wine, beer and food pairings.
- Stop next door at Meatheads for samples of their Holiday Milkshakes and more surprises and fun.
The Shops on Lageschulte Street from noon to 5 p.m.
- Lageschulte Street comes to life as Gingerbread Lane for a day, lined with giant gingerbread people and candy canes. Children will have a "snowy" experience at Norton’s U.S.A.
- The Chicago Redhots Acapella Group will delight the crowd at 2 p.m.
- Santa arrives on the Holiday Trolley 3:45 p.m. on his way to the annual tree lighting celebration in the Village Center.
Annual tree lighting in the Village Center on 100 S. Cook Street, from 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. A holiday tradition not to be missed!
- The red Santa House will appear on S. Cook Street in anticipation of Santa’s arrival in the Village center on this magical day.
- Free carriage rides will be available downtown from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., with cookies and hot cocoa served while you wait.
- The Madrigal Singers will be strolling on Cook Street.
- Santa will arrive on the Barrington Fire Engine at 5 p.m. to light the holiday tree. After his arrival, Santa will visit with children in the Santa House on South Cook Street. Remember to bring a camera to capture those memorable moments.
Holiday trolley rides will be available 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday Dec. 7.
The trolley will make a continuous hourly circuit with stops every 12 minutes at the following locations:
- Village Center, 100 S Cook Street
- Ice House Mall on Applebee Street
- Shops on Lageschulte Street
- Foundry Shopping Center on Northwest Hwy.
- The Shops at Flint Creek, 500 N. Hough St.
- 10:30 a.m. Village Center to Barrington Aglow at McGonigal’s Pub
- 10:42 a.m. Ice House Mall to Winter Wonderland
- 10:54 a.m. Lageschulte Street to Gingerbread Lane at Norton’s U.S.A.
- 11:06 a.m. Foundry Shopping Center to Candy Cane Festival
- 11:18 a.m. Shops at Flink Creek to Holidazzle at Heinen's Fine Foods
Toys for Tots
Once again, the village is teaming up with the the United States Marine Corps. Reserve Toys for Tots program by accepting donations of new, unwrapped toys on Saturday, Dec. 7 between 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., next to Santa’s red house in the Village Center. Please plan to bring a toy to share with a deserving child.