A project to turn the John
Robertson home, Barrington’s own White House, into a community center is before
the village’s Plan Commission this week.
The home, at 145 West Main St., was built in 1898 to be the largest house in Barrington. Its history includes serving as a hospital for victims of an influenza epidemic after World War II and a rest home in the 1940s and 1950s, according to the village. It was used as office until the village purchases it with the idea of restoring it and making it a focal point of Village Center, according to the village’s website.
Barrington plans to restore the building and use it as a community center available for cultural events, nonprofit offices and public events.
The Plan Commission meets at 7 p.m. at village hall, 200 South Hough St.